Saturday, April 11, 2009

Home

A few things about my home/hometown that may differ from yours:
  • You can go to the coffee shop and have a conversation with 70% of the people who come in (case and point, I'm at the BRCC now and have seen 12 people I know so far... and only about 8 have come in that I've never seen before)
  • The cashier at the coffee shop knows my name and the fact that I go to ECU... and she graduated 3 years before me
  • I live in "Uptown Shelby" yet have land that takes up an entire block.
  • My dad can tell me to get a basket from the barn and I have to ask which barn...and again, I live in uptown
  • We have 0 Starbucks (sorry Urkos)
  • I still know the majority of the seniors at Shelby High School
  • And quite a good number of the underclassmen
  • You know exactly where someone lives when they tell you they moved into the _____'s old house
  • Some of the biggest news in town recently has been whether or not to allow alcholic beverages be served to people seated outside at uptown restaurants
  • If you try to go to the grocery store and not see anyone you know, you fail
  • Every elderly person I meet asks me if I am Shem and Martha Blackley's granddaugther. I am in fact....
  • When giving directions it is rare to go without saying pass by so and so's house, then turn on to the road that so and so lives on.

Oh Shelby. How you make me laugh.

I love it.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

Small towns...so much more character than any city will ever have...including nyc. so much more presh, so much more personal, and make you so much happier. Maybe I should go to that wedding in Delly, I think it would do wonders for my small town heart. This made me miss it.