Friday, November 7, 2008

When we finally look for direction

I know its a common struggle for me, and I have found it to be the same for many of my close friends...turning to Christ, and Christ alone, in our life. So much has been going on recently that I have just been letting my emotions rule my life; not much of what I know about my faith has been allowed tobe on the forfront of my actions. It has been detrimental and its about time that I have taken those few steps back to re-examine and go at it all again.


These realizations have come in stages:


First the phrase "In Christ Alone" was stuck in my head for weeks... I didn't even know the last time that I had heard that song or anything, but I was just always thinking about it.


Secondly, great talks with little Lynny, Aaron, and other friends.


Thirdly, getting to catch up with Amy Ruff Ruff Ruff


Fourthly, more things continued piling on.. including an impulsive trip to Barnes and seeing one single copy of this book sticking on on a shelf all by itself. The book you ask? In Christ Alone by Sinclair B. Ferguson. (I have not begun it yet because I am in the middle of The Shack, but it's next FOR SURE!)


and to top it all off... tonight at bible study we reflected on Jeremiah 17:9-10 which touched on the heart being decietful, and the need to base judgement on the Truth.




All these things lining up should eventually tell me that I need to work on how I handle situations involving my heart vs. my head. How hard headed can one girl be in order to need such CONSTANT reminding??


But the Lord is good and is ever faithful in teaching me things.



Today while I was babysitting, I was thinking about these things as I drove the 3 year old home. He loves to tell me exactly where to turn to get to his house from his day care. And its a good thing that I do know where I am going, because, though he gives accurate directions, he announces the turn as we approach the curb...aka, not much notice. I have begun asking him a few seconds before the needed turn if the road we were approaching is the correct one; this allows him to still tell me where to go, but me not put us in annnny danger! I find that we do this in our lives quite often... we're going and don't bother to ask God for direction until we almost pass it by; when he has to throw it in our faces in some form or fashion. Thankfully for us, we can give up the drivers seat and allow him to take control.


I don't believe this would be good for little Hampton since he's already tried to show how he can "reach the pedals."


This is my good buddy Hampton's self portrait... he played with my camera one day on the way home. He really is precious.

1 comment:

Quinn said...

He is so adorable! Yeah, I feel like I'm at the same point right now, and God is telling me to go in the complete opposite direction I've been going in.