Monday, July 21, 2008

Sharp. Top. Cove.

I punctuated between the syllables because the dramatic pauses will add to how amazing it was. Or so I hope.
Folks, this past week 8 Pitt County Young Life leaders peaced out of Greenville with 41 of our high school friends to head to Jasper, Ga. The hills of Jasper, Ga. actually. To Sharptop Cove. I tried to have no expectations going into the week, but was also so super excited because 3 years ago I had just had my first YL summer camp experience, so I knew the amazingness that was in store. Oh, but wait, I actually had NO IDEA what amazingness was in store. Coming to camp as a camper is one thing. Going again as a camper is another. Going as a leader is not even in the same realm of thinking. Learning the purpose behind little things at camp and the timing of activities was so awesome. Young Life's camping experience is like a science. They've learned what works, and what best expresses Christ to lost children throughout the week.
I absolutely loved this past week. Spending precious time with precious girls. Growing closer to them and watch them take those steps to get closer to their Lord and Savior was a blessing beyond compare. I had 9 of my South Central friends go, and we were in a cabin with the 2 Conley girls and Sandra Anastacia.
Serving those girls and showing them the love that has so freely been bestowed upon me was so sweet. The little things that they'll never notice were the most rewarding. They were amazing to be with, and amazing to talk with.
By the end of the week, hearts had been softened, ears and eyes had been opened, and secrets had been shared. 15 Pitt County folks stood up at say so to proclaim to camp that they had accepted God's proposal to them. 16 met or recommitted their lives to Christ this week after seeing God in an amazing new light .
Brian Summerall was the speaker, Ryan Clark was the special music. They were both fantastic. I've heard a lot of camp speakers, but I know that even as a leader, the things that Brian said will stick to my heart. He had a great way of talking to high school kids on their level and expressing Christ in a way that is important to their struggles now.
God worked in amazing ways bringing me closer to these lovely ladies that I am excited to spend the next few years (and hopefully on after that) loving on. They are God's children, and my constant prayer is for them to know that and His love for them. But also to recognize the work that He is doing in their lives now.
I hope that many more of you will be able to experience camp this coming summer as we take more and more kids to a place where they encounter Christ on every level, every second of the day.

3 comments:

Sandra Anastasia said...

It was such a joyful experience spending a week at Sharptop with you and our beautiful Pitt County girls! I loved every second of it. Praise God for the great things he did! :)

Heather said...

Baird that is awesome! and I can not wait to be in your place next year :) :)

Quinn said...

wow! I am in awe just hearing about a fraction of it. I can't wait to hear more. You are a true perfect match and role model for those girls. GAHHH God's power is beyond my comprehension. I'm honored more than I can begin to express...apparently honored to tears at the momento...to be placed on your young life team. (warning: You will hear this many times over the next few years...so if it gets old im sorry. you can deal.)