Monday, March 16, 2009

With heartfelt prayer

So often when talking with other believers about difficulties in our lives or decisions we face, they ask us if we have prayed about it. If you are like me, you say, "Yes, of course I've prayed about it... but I haven't gotten an answer."
So often we pray to God for direction or answers or consolation... anything...but we feel our attempts are futile. Some lose hope, re-evaluate, and begin to turn to others for direction, but that is not at all what we need. In our re-evaluation, we should see that our attempts are in fact, futile...but futile in a different definition.

The first futile that I referenced is by the definition: trifling, frivolous, unimportant. The second, is every different....but also the definition of futile: ineffective, useless.

Amazing how one goes from placing the blame on God... the one who hears our prayers, to placing it on us... the one throwing the prayers out to God.
This verse from Hosea has come up multiple times this week... this week in which I have been in a lot of prayer about decisions that need to be made.
They do not cry out to me with sincere hearts. Instead, they sit on their couches and wail. Hosea 7:14-NLT
This verse let me know that in conversation with God, I need to honestly let Him into my heart in order for His will in my life to be done. Let me be done with wailing on my couch...my couch of comfort and security...and open up my heart to him, so that all my prayers will be the laying out of my soul to the creator of all.

Challenge those around you to do the same. Challenge them to be heartfelt and sincere, for OUR God knows the difference, and he doesn't put up with futile calls for help.

2 comments:

Quinn said...

amen. thank you.

Katie Smith said...

Wow! I love that verse!